Thursday, April 17, 2008

itty bitty update

Living on 10 euros a week for the past three weeks has been, above all else, really, really funny. (And of course when I say 'past three weeks,' I'm excluding the weekend that Aisling was here as well as last weekend in Munich, for which I budgeted accordingly.) For one thing, my total at the grocery store is never over one euro. I buy 33 cent pasta and 47 cent tomate frito, which is just a watered-down tomato paste, sans any kind of spice or chunky vegetable. Sometimes I buy milk, but only the kind without the screw-on top, because the screw-on top is 10 euro cents more. Being poor also makes me a really bad apartment-mate, because I can't afford to buy olive oil or black pepper or toilet paper. Last week we ran out of toilet paper and instead of buying a new pack, I stole an industrial-sized roll from my study abroad center.

This week has been way better, though, because I did some minor splurging: Instant coffee and olives that were SUPERDUPER on sale @ DisGor. The coffee is 'de mierda,' but in the past two days I've had to write three papers, make two Power Point presentations, and study for two finals. So. Also, scratch the 'study for two finals,' because I didn't, and I'm not going to. And ... we'll see how that goes. So far no studying has meant a surefire A-, and since we don't abide by the +/- system at CMU, no pasa nada.

Barcelona is supposed to be rainy for the next week which is the biggest lastima of all TIME because all I wanted to do was lay on the beach.

Right. Time to turn in papers, give boring presentations, and get an A- on my Spanish final. VALE!

EDIT: Sike, I'm not done here. Other things I need to get off my chest:
-H&M mascara is the world's best. Buy it now.
-Lee, my roommate, is such a good sleeper and I'm always so jealous.
-I miss Luke and Lisa, but I can't wait to have a super weekend w/ them.
-I feel guilty always for being excited about going home, but I am. I will miss speaking Spanish so much.

One of the cleaning ladies who works in our building just rang the doorbell, like she does every Thursday afternoon, and asked "Is my companion here?" She meant Juanita, our cleaning lady, who has already left. Point being: This is how I want to knock on doors. "Are my companions here?"

No comments: